Definitions of a Saint
There are many definitions of a Saint, including:
- An example of holiness that we can follow with confidence.
- The person who kept on trying when everybody else gave up.
- 'Spiritual force-fields', exerting a powerful attractive influence on followers but also touching the inner lives of others in ways that transform them for the better.
- A person who has been formally canonized (officially recognized) by the Catholic Church, and is therefore considered to be in Heaven.
- A saint is always someone through whose life we learn what God is like - and of what we are called to be. Only God 'makes' saints. The church merely identifies from time to time a few of these for imitation.
- Anyone who is in Heaven, whether recognized here on earth, or not (Eastern Orthodox definition)